- If you back is sore from the KBs this week sub swings for conditioning curls (1+1=1)
- From time to time we stray from our usual 20 mins, or so. Sometimes our workouts are 4 min long. Other times they are over 40. Today's is the latter.
- Go hard at Tabatas. Seriously. Dr. Tabata's protocol called for 170% of your VO2max during the 20 second "on" portions of this workout. That is ULTRA intense, like flat-out!
- In 1996 when he published the findings of his HIIT "Tabata" protocol, it initially involved Olympic speed skaters who worked for 4 minutes TOTAL. Results from these "measly" 4 mins were astonishing. Athletes using his protocol of 4 mins 4x/wk increased aerobic conditioning at the same rate (actually higher) as those doing steady state cardio training 5x per week for an hour, or more. The difference was those doing Tabata's also increased anaerobic conditioning. This was groundbreaking because the steady state athletes gained relatively none.
- GPP has learned to adapt Dr. Tabata's workouts to serve our needs better. Purists will say, "anything more than 4 mins is wasteful and unnecessary." We disagree. We've found amazing health and fitness benefits in expanding this protocol. We are convinced that there is nothing wasteful, or unnecessary about tremendous health and fitness benefit.
Henry is my favorite bar. He was my first everything. My first 'stupid sore' came at the hands of Henry. My first thumb blister, hand rip, shin bleed. I thought he broke my collar bone once, but he was just teasing. He was first piece of equipment to enter GPP. He'll be the first thing I'll take if I ever go. My boy Henry has been personally responsible for more outstanding fitness in this area than all the trainers (outside of GPP) combined. Ive been known to silently resent people who are using him if I'm trying to get my own workout on. So today I honor Henry. Do you have a fav piece at your gym? Take a pic and hash tag # GPP fitness. Would love to check you out. #barbells #getstronger #gppfit