This will be a LONG one. Clock will start exactly on schedule.
You may NOT partition.
Post time to comments.
At GPP HQ we like to start the New Year off with a bang! In years past, we've done this with Hellth Weeks. For those of you who are new to GPP, Hellth Weeks are comprised of 6 days of our most "soul crushing" workouts stack on top of each other. ROUGH stuff to say the least.
These have always been great, but we've began to wonder, is 1 rough week really enough to stimulate fitness launch us all onto a path of better health?
It probably is. It has worked for many of us. But, we propose more for this year.
We propose that this year activities be extended to 6 weeks! No, not 6 weeks of "soul crushing" Hell-acious workouts That wouldn't make sense with our programming, philosophies and methods.
Instead, we propose:
- We all participate in a healthy challenge which can be maintained for 6 weeks - or more!
- We learn new skills, interests and abilities while participating in this challenge
- We create a challenge that family, friends and loved ones will be able to participate in along side of us.
- That we do a HELLth week in conjunction to our 6 extra weeks (Starts week of Jan 6th). Why not?
With this we announce the formation of the GPP Snowshoeing/hiking club.
Snowshoeing and Hiking are both AMAZING exercises. They are both fantastically healthy, stimulating increase in all aspects of health as GPP defines it (physical, mental, spiritual, social, emotional and yes, financial - it doesn't cost much).
GPP will post weekly snowshoeing/hiking tasks for the 6 weeks of our challenge. These tasks will be posted every Sunday night (Monday's DW). Tasks will include miles and elevation to be covered for that week. We plan to quickly work our way up to 8 miles per week. Each hike will gain around of 450 ft in elevation. We will also suggest intensity levels and gear.
Each Saturday of the challenge we will organize a group snowshoe/hike to a local destination. Hikes will be up to 5 miles long and gain roughly 500 ft in elevation. These will be out-and-back routes so that those who need to turn around early can do so without fear of being left behind. First hike Saturday morning Jan 4th. Time TBA. It will take roughly an hour.
You'll need minimal gear. To gear up for these hikes you'd ideally need accumulate (borrow, or purchase) the following:
- Hiking boots (Gore Tex waterproofing preferred)
- Wool socks
- Layered weather protection (we suggest wool base-layer, wool mid-layer and a weather-proof shell)
- 2 pair of gloves (thin liners & insulated cold weather)
- Back pack (to carry water bottles and extra layers you might need/shed)
- Vented beanie or insulated head band ear muffs
Having this gear would be ideal, but not entirely necessary. You'd probably get away with just wearing comfortable layers, gloves, a head band and gyms shoes, then carrying a water bottle. We won't really need snowshoes until we get pounded by another storm. Plus if you are following along off-site, you might not even get snow.
Cost for joining the club is $35. Membership includes long sleeved shirt with "OUTSIDER" print on the back and the GPP Outsiders logo on front (pictured above). Pumped to be storming these hikes with you.
Below are examples of the gear we use. You may purchase it from our Amazon store!
Collage - Deawn, Alison, Kathrine
Top R - Red Rock Kate on tip of Camelback Mountain, Pheonix
Bottom R - Amy hiking around Bear Lake, Ut.